When: June 15-20, 2020
Where: Russian University for the Humanities & Yasnaya Polyana
Application deadline: April 1, 2020
Working languages: Russian and English (competency in the English is required)
We are pleased to announce the Fulbright Summer School on American Studies “African Americans and African-American Culture in the United States and Russia” organized by the Russian State University for the Humanities (Department of American Studies, Faculty of International Relations and Area Studies) with financial support from the Fulbright Program in Russia in collaboration with Leo Tolstoy Museum-Estate “Yasnaya Polyana”.
During School lectures, discussion panels, and workshops conducted by dis-tinguished professors from Russia and the U.S. as well as African-American poets and musicians we are planning to discuss the following topics:
1. The African-American legacy in the United States:
- African Americans in the search for civil rights and identity;
- The emergence and development of African-American literature;
- Harlem Renaissance as a historical and cultural phenomenon;
- African-American Humor;
- Music as a way of self-expression: from spirituals to hip hop.
- African-American literature in Russian Translations;
- Leo Tolstoy and American abolitionists;
- African Americans in Russia in the 18th-20th centuries and cultural transfer;
- The African-American “Other” in domestic and foreign policy discourse in the Russian Empire / the USSR / post-Soviet Russia;
- African Americans in the Soviet and American cinema.
The Fulbright program covers travel expenses, accommodation, and meals. Participants are expected to arrive on June 14, and depart on June 20. From June 15-17 the School will take place at the Russian State University for the Humanities campus, from June 18-19 – at Leo Tolstoy Museum-Estate “Yasnaya Polyana”. The School organizers will arrange the travel from Moscow to Yasnaya Polyana and back.
School participants (25 in total) will be selected on a competitive basis. To apply, fill in and submit the application form to Anton Panov via email: firstname.lastname@example.org before April 1, 2020.
- Victoria Zhuravleva, Doctor in History, Chair of the Department of American Studies, Faculty of International Relations and Area Studies, Russian State University for the Humanities – Chair of the School, email: email@example.com
Irina Morozova, Doctor in Philology, Professor, Russian State University for the Humanities
Galina Alexeeva, PhD, Head of the Academic Research Department, Leo Tolstoy Museum-Estate “Yasnaya Polyana”
Anton Panov, Lecture, the Department of American Studies, Faculty of International Relations and Area Studies, Russian State University for the Humanities – Executive Secretary of the School, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection results will be announced on April 10, 2020.