The Fulbright Program in the Russian FederationStarted in 1946, the Fulbright Program has so far established educational, academic and scientific exchange between the United States of America and 160 countries.
On April 11, 1972, the "Agreement between the government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and the Government of the United States of America on cooperation in science, technology, education, culture and other fields" was signed. Under this agreement, in 1973, 6 Soviet and 6 American scientists became participants in the first exchange program, receiving a grant from the Program to conduct research and give lectures, thus laying a solid Foundation for bilateral academic cooperation.
For more than 45 years of continuous work, the Fulbright Program has provided more than 2,400 Russian professors, teachers, and young professionals with an opportunity to establish new scientific contacts, continue studies and undertake internships.
With the joint efforts of the American and Russian sides, the number of Fulbright exchange programs available to different categories of participants has increased to 10. The list of competitive disciplines has expanded: now Fulbright scholarships can be awarded to specialists in all fields of science.
As the number of Fulbright grants increases, so does the number of the Russian alumni. Every year, international, national and regional conferences, meetings and discussions are held in Russian cities with support and active participation of Program alumni. Periodicals and other publications are are also being regularly released
We would like to thank our colleagues from the U.S. Embassy and Consulates' departments of culture, who have been working closely with the Program office and directly with the Program participants and alumni over the years.
We invite Russian university lecturers, scientists, artists, cultural workers, and young professionals to participate in Fulbright programs!
Senator J. William Fulbright